was a dangerous business; storms, pirates, uncharted seas and war
took a heavy toll. Facing these common dangers engendered a kindred
spirit and a sense of mortality among Boston captains.
the 1st day of June 1742 a group of them formed "a loving and
friendly Society called The Fellowship Club." Membership was
limited to those who then or in the past had commanded vessels.
At the time of entry each member paid one dollar into the "box"
and was thereafter to pay monthly dues. In times of distress or
death members and their families would be paid according to the
nature of the misfortune and the ability of the "box."
years later the Fellowship Club received a charter from the Royal
Governor and according to the charter the purposes of the Society
were to "make navigation more safe" and to relieve members
and their families in poverty or other "adverse accidents in
life." For its seal the Society selected "a Ship arriving
at the Light House from a storm, and the Sun breaking out of the
clouds with the inscription "Marine Society at Boston in New
England AD 1754." In 1809 the Society changed its name officially
to the Boston Marine Society.
Boston Marine Society Mural (on display at the Society headquarters)
is the work of Samuel Emrys Evans of Hanover, Massachusetts. Mr.
Evans is a renowned artist and muralist and his works are prominently
displayed in a number of banks and public buildings in various cities.
born in India of Missionary parents, Sam considers himself a South
Shore man. Sam's artistic career has also included duty as a combat
artist in the Coast Guard during World War II as well as teaching
in the art field.
see a key to the mural with descriptions of the imagery, click